RSW Aviation operates a fleet of EX – RAF Shorts Tucanos and L-39s. We are pleased to have signed a Strategic Cooperation with Aero Vodochody to upgrade our existing L-39s and to purchase the new L-39NG.
L39 – THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE ADVANCED JET TRAINER
The upgraded L-39CW and the new L-39NG is equipped with the Williams International FJ44-4M engine. The L-39 also boasts a modern cockpit fitted with a configurable glass cockpit (GPS, WAAS, LPV navigation), auto-pilot, Heads-Up-Display (HUD) and/or Helmet Mounted Display (HMD), Night Vision capability, embedded virtual training, simulated air to air weapons (IR and BVR), air to ground simulated and live weapons, and a datalink (air to ground and simulated radar).
- Crew: 2
- Length: 11.7 m (38 ft 5 in)
- Wingspan: 9.38 m (31 ft 9 in)
- Height: 4.72 m (15 ft 6 in)
- Wing area: 19.2 m² (206.7 ft²)
- Airfoil: NACA 64A012 mod
- Empty Weight: 3,200 kg (7,055 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 4,530 kg (9,987 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Williams FJ44-4M (3792 lbs of thrust)
The Williams Engine and airframe loading / design allow for the L-39NG to be a high performer in advance fighter pilot training. The engine / aircraft performance along with advanced air-to-air weapons simulation provide for a competitive and capable training platform for Basic Fighter Maneuvers (BFM), Vertical Air Combat Maneuvers (ACM) and Beyond Visual Range Tactics.
- Never exceed speed: 490 KIAS (563 mph, 908 km/h)
- Maximum speed: 750 km/h (405 knots, 466 mph) at 5,000 m (16,400 ft)
- Internal Fuel – 1,900 km (1026 nm, 1181 mi)
- External Fuel – 2500 km (1350 nm, 1,554 mi)
- Endurance: 3 hr 45 min (internal fuel), 4 hr 50 min (internal and external fuel)
- Service ceiling: 11,000 m (36,100 ft)
- Rate of climb: 25 m/s (4,800 ft/min)
- Climb to 5,000 m (16,400 ft): 5 min
- Take-off roll: 530 m (1,910 ft)
- Landing roll: 650 m (1,970 ft)
- G Loading: -4.0G to +8.0G
- Up to 284 kg (626 lb) of stores on two external hardpoints
Shorts Tucano – EXCEEDINGLY ADVANCED BASIC TRAINER & LIGHT ATTACK AIRCRAFT
RSW Aviation has made significant improvements to the Royal Air Force Shorts Tucanos. The modern avionics provides for advanced GPS Navigation systems (LPV, WAAS) and autopilot.
The mission systems in the light attack / ISR version is equipped with a HMD, attack overlay software, mission computer, 15 inch ISR sensor and is capable of forward firing, free falling, GPS / Laser guided munitions.
With an efficient 1150 horsepower Garrett engine, the Shorts Tucano boasts impressive performance and endurance capabilities perfectly suited for the light attack and basic trainer roles.
- Maximum Speed: 300 knots
- Range: 888 km (480 nm, 552 mi) (internal fuel)
- 1,332 km, (720 nm, 552 mi) (internal and external fuel)
- Endurance: 2 hr 30 min (internal fuel), 3 hr 50 min (internal and external fuel)
- Service Ceiling: 7,620 m (25,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 21 m/s (4,130 ft/min)
- Climb to 5,000 m (16,400 ft): 22 min
- Take-off roll: 335 m (1,100 ft)
- Landing roll: 480 m (1400 ft)